March 18, 2014
Spring is almost here, and that means another season of fashion shows is winding to a close. Here to help you make sense of the madness, the lovely Marissa Cox reports on the season’s most notable runway trends. -Geneviève
Tweed – Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Margiela
Tweed turned up at Paris Fashion Week’s most talked about show, Chanel – a full-scale supermarket set up in the Grand Palais that made shopping for groceries look incredibly glamorous.
Colorful candied shades of tweed swept down Karl Lagerfeld’s chic supermarket aisles in the shape of overcoats, cropped jackets, trouser and skirt-suit combos and even spilled onto trainers. Panels of tweed in autumnal shades were inserted into tough, but feminine leather skirts and dresses at Louis Vuitton. At Margiela, models were clad head-to-toe in sophisticated, tailored versions of the classic fabric.
Continue Reading »
Posted in Fashion | 1 Comment »
April 5, 2012
HiP Paris fave and globe-trotter extraordinaire Tory Hoen is finally back in Paris. In the next few weeks she’ll be doing the rounds of Paris’ latest hotspots, but first she shares her top Paris spring fashion picks with us here… Enjoy! -Geneviève
When I decided to spend this April in Paris, my euphoria was tainted by just one gnawing concern—what am I going to wear? We all know the Parisian spring is knock-your-socks off beautiful, but it’s a tricky season, sartorially-speaking. It can be cool and rainy one minute, balmy the next. It can feel like full-on summer on one side of the street, and winter once you cross into the shade. I’m constantly shedding and donning layers, and my normal fear of color is supplanted by an impulse to integrate bolder hues.
Although my highly unhelpful inner voice said, “Just pack everything!,” I’ve managed to narrow things down. Below is a list of 10 spring essentials that I know will serve me well this season.
1. When boots start to feel too clunky but it’s not yet sandal season, I live in my Repettos. They come in a variety of fun colors, but you can wear the classic black with just about anything.
2. While I’m not always the savviest of shoppers, I regularly high-five myself for having bought this beige trench from Comptoir des Cotonniers. I wear it constantly—open, closed, buttoned, belted—and always feel put-together, even when I’m wearing nothing underneath. Just kidding.
3. I am generally an extremist when it comes to lip color: either very sheer gloss or devil-may-care matte red. But for spring, a more carefree coral (like Nars satin lipstick in Niagara) feels like the way to go.
4. Made in their atelier in the Marais, Monsieur’s delicate gold and silver rings, bracelets, necklaces and earrings add a perfectly simple accent to springtime garb. (53 Rue Charlot, 3ème arrondissement).
5. While my winter handbag is generally overflowing with unnecessary bulk—old receipts, dozens of pens, a single glove, matchbooks pilfered from various restaurants—I like to lighten up for spring. A saddle bag in a bright color, like this one from A.P.C., fits the bill perfectly. Continue Reading »
Posted in Parisian Living, Shopping | 14 Comments »