April 5, 2012
HiP Paris fave and globe-trotter extraordinaire Tory Hoen is finally back in Paris. In the next few weeks she’ll be doing the rounds of Paris’ latest hotspots, but first she shares her top Paris spring fashion picks with us here… Enjoy! -Geneviève
When I decided to spend this April in Paris, my euphoria was tainted by just one gnawing concern—what am I going to wear? We all know the Parisian spring is knock-your-socks off beautiful, but it’s a tricky season, sartorially-speaking. It can be cool and rainy one minute, balmy the next. It can feel like full-on summer on one side of the street, and winter once you cross into the shade. I’m constantly shedding and donning layers, and my normal fear of color is supplanted by an impulse to integrate bolder hues.
Although my highly unhelpful inner voice said, “Just pack everything!,” I’ve managed to narrow things down. Below is a list of 10 spring essentials that I know will serve me well this season.
1. When boots start to feel too clunky but it’s not yet sandal season, I live in my Repettos. They come in a variety of fun colors, but you can wear the classic black with just about anything.
2. While I’m not always the savviest of shoppers, I regularly high-five myself for having bought this beige trench from Comptoir des Cotonniers. I wear it constantly—open, closed, buttoned, belted—and always feel put-together, even when I’m wearing nothing underneath. Just kidding.
3. I am generally an extremist when it comes to lip color: either very sheer gloss or devil-may-care matte red. But for spring, a more carefree coral (like Nars satin lipstick in Niagara) feels like the way to go.
4. Made in their atelier in the Marais, Monsieur’s delicate gold and silver rings, bracelets, necklaces and earrings add a perfectly simple accent to springtime garb. (53 Rue Charlot, 3ème arrondissement).
5. While my winter handbag is generally overflowing with unnecessary bulk—old receipts, dozens of pens, a single glove, matchbooks pilfered from various restaurants—I like to lighten up for spring. A saddle bag in a bright color, like this one from A.P.C., fits the bill perfectly. Continue Reading »
Posted in Parisian Living, Shopping | 14 Comments »
June 13, 2011
We were blessed with 3 months of near-uninterrupted sunshine. Alas, the fickle Parisian weather dictators have decided that we should wait a little longer before our next late-night dinner en terrasse, never-ending picnic on the Canal Saint Martin or sunbathing on the Ile de la Cité. In honor of the return of the familiar grey sky and blustery days, fabulous writer and illustrator Badaude shares here some sketches of the ubiquitous fickle weather Parisian fashion must: Le Trench Coat. Don’t forget to pack yours! -Geneviève
Written by Badaude for the HiP Paris Blog. Looking for a fabulous vacation rental in Paris, Provence, or Tuscany? Check out Haven in Paris.
Posted in Parisian Living, Shopping | 5 Comments »
June 21, 2010
Girls’ Guide to Paris, a fantastic online resource for fabulous things to do in Paris, helps to answer here every antsy traveler’s questions about packing for Paris. This article was also written by HiP Paris blogger friend Robin Locker, of My Mélange…
Packing for any trip can be frustrating and daunting. But when you’re heading to the fashion capital of the world, the task can seem even more arduous. You know that Parisians are stylish and chic, so you want to do your best to fit in. But you also want to be comfortable, without toting around unnecessary stuff.
Most women I know spend hours mixing and matching outfits, piling every available piece of clothing on the bed until it disappears under a mound of fabric. And though there will always be two types of packers—those who believe in taking only a carry-on, and those who just can’t fathom the thought—there are some essentials any girl headed to Paris should bring along.
Black. Lots of black. Black is classic and always in season, and it matches easily with almost every other color, which makes it perfect for layering. Dark clothes are flattering on all figures and hide wear and tear better than their counterparts, so they will be more forgiving if you splash some espresso on yourself. And every girl needs a little black dress for a nice evening out in the City of Light. Continue Reading »
Posted in Parisian Living | 20 Comments »
April 12, 2010
Recently, we’ve received a ton of inquiries from readers who all want to know the same thing: “What do I pack for my trip to Paris?” It’s a tricky question, as the answer is often dictated by the season, your “travel style,” and your own personal fashion sense. Luckily, Badaude, one of our favorite illustrators, has provided a quick tutorial on can’t-go-wrong Paris packing. Enjoy!
Packing for Paris can be a tricky business. There are a few things to take into account, but only one of them is truly important (two if you count the umbrella). How long will I be staying? How much do I want/will my method of transport allow me to carry? What will the weather be like? What will I be doing? These are important, sure, but successful packing for any destination is as much about the dream as the reality, and planning can be a satisfying mental mini-break. So, for Paris, take only the clothes you can imagine yourself wearing as you walk through the Tuilleries, cross the Pont Neuf, or sit in Café de Flore (so long as you also remember to take the umbrella…). Continue Reading »
Posted in Parisian Living | 4 Comments »