As soon as our timetable lets us go, my husband and I move from our base in Amsterdam to our tiny apartment in Paris.
We’ve lived here in Paris part time for more than 4 years now, but I still discover new places, neighborhoods, and restaurants every single time we go on a stroll. Paris is inexhaustible when it comes to surprising me in any unexpected ways.
My dear friend, stylist, photographer and author Pia Jane Bijkerk, used to live here too, and she wrote a wonderful guide that everyone should have when they go to Paris. It’s a little book that takes you on a tour of Paris’ best shops and ateliers for handmade goods. So that’s right up my alley, of course.
One of the places she lists is Le Petit Atelier de Paris, so of course I went.
I fell in love with the shop instantly. Just standing outside, even the façade is charming. Inside, eyes and hands are drawn to the tables filled with handmade ceramics, all unique pieces. I’d love to work in this atelier in another life — I have secretly always wanted to be a ceramist!
They also organize small exhibits for artists from all over the world, so there is always something new and delightful to discover every time I go. They also make small, beautifully packaged pieces that are perfect gifts to send off to family and friends. It’s a shame to even open them! Go and have a look for yourself – you won’t regret it.
Le Petit Atelier de Paris, 31 Rue de Montmerency, 75003 Paris, open from Thursday to Saturday from 13:00 – 20:00 hrs.
- To see more from Yvette Van Boven, including her cookbooks, illustrations and info on her restaurant in Amsterdam, check out her website
- Check out Le Petit Atelier’s website here for upcoming exhibits and information on current collections
- View Le Petit Atelier’s most recent items on their blog, here
- Read up on Pia’s fantastic book, Paris Made by Hand, in our 2009 review here.
- Can’t get to Paris to shop at Le Petit Atelier? We think Pia’s Paris Made by Hand book would make a great gift for any francophile…
Written by Yvette Van Boven for the HiP Paris Blog. All images by Patricia, aka, Memi the Rainbow; Patricia is an Italian girl who lives in Paris to study art. She is passionate about hand-carved rubber stamps, photography, and long walks through Paris, her muse; check out her fab home-made gifts at her Etsy shop. Also check out her wonderful blog here. Looking for a fabulous vacation rental in London, Paris, Provence, or Tuscany? Check out Haven in Paris.